Friday, February 12, 2016

IMPORTANT

I am pasting a message from Facebook from Representative J.T. Wilcox, 2nd District. It is the reason we need to pray. I cover the bills as introduced. Any can be amended to change he original intent. In fact, the whole original bill can be stripped and  new one put in under the same name as an amendment.  2610

"I witnessed the most remarkable display of casual arrogance today of the 5+ years I have spent in the State House. With 1 days notice and NO public input, Rep. Sam Hunt offered an amendment that would change the form of Thurston County government by adding 2 new commissioners. This is clearly motivated by fear that his party is losing their long-term grip on the Thurston County Commission. 49 members of his party thoughtlessly followed along, with no consideration of the fundamental violation of American's right of self-government that this enabled. I objected strenuously, in the most passionate speeches I've ever given. Although some republicans agreed with the original bill that had public input and involved Spokane County, all followed me in opposing the amended bill. In the moment of highest drama this year, the Speaker was forced to hold open the vote while Democratic caucus leaders whipped votes to get to 50. Clearly, by the time I and other Republicans had reacted with outrage to the amendment, even members of the Democratic caucus realized what a miscarriage of just government was being perpetrated.
I am amazed at the unthinking attitude of this ruling party. Imagine the outrage if the amendment had altered Seattle or King County government, or added members to the Senate or House of Representatives. With this majority, this could happen to any county, any city or any other public entity, late on any Friday night. It reveals deep scorn for voters who deserve a voice. I am rarely this fervent but, then, this is beyond anything I have ever witnessed in Olympia. Although expanding the commission might be a good idea, in the end, there is a constitutional and well-known PUBLIC process to do it and this was not it."

No comments:

Post a Comment